Tuesday, March 13, 2012

And the Countdown Begins...

With sixty-nine days before my staging, I am being asked a plethora of questions about my upcoming Peace Corps adventure: "What's next?" "Do you know the language?" "What language will you speak?" "Where exactly is Armenia?" "Are you excited?" "How do you feel?"

Sometimes I'm unprepared for the questions, but usually I'm eager to offer information about my trip and the tidbits that I've gathered with regard to Armenia, its culture, and its people. Words cannot appropriately describe the excitement that pumps through me each time I think that in a little more than two months, I will be submerged in a completely new and foreign landscape, making friends with people I haven't even met yet.

There is another part of me that is treating each moment I have left in the US as treasure; spending time with family and friends, enjoying the ability to have my whims met with ease (i.e. hot showers whenever I want, avocados anytime, streaming music and movies, and convenient transportation, among others). I will miss Lake Michigan, familiar hiking trails through the dunes, visiting my old stomping grounds in Chicago, and my cat.

This transitory period has been fairly comfortable however, as I have been blessed with enough time to tie up loose ends,  prepare mentally for the upcoming changes and challenges, and plan on continuing my education with regard to the language and culture of Armenia, as well as the expectations of me upon my arrival there. It has been a long journey of baby steps to get this far, and I am excited to see them finally culminate to actually serving as a PCV. Undoubtedly, there are more baby steps ahead. And I am excited for each and every one of them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment