Monday, March 26, 2012

Transitions

I have just spent the better part of two hours watching various youtube videos made by PCVs who have been or are presently serving in Armenia. As recently as last week, there was a level of disconnectedness with regard to my upcoming move. But now, though I am still many, many miles away from Armenia, I feel very close to it. I have had the opportunity to touch base with some of those that I will be traveling with and communication with those presently serving. This is unbelievably exciting to me!

Peace Corps volunteers often cite the level of attention that is received in their host country: they are often subject to stares, comments, and questions....questions, questions, questions. I feel as though the Universe has provided me with a little taste of this here in America. I am constantly asked question after question about where I'm going and what I'll be doing there and how I'm preparing and when I'm leaving and what I'm packing and so on and so forth. Funny how the Universe does things like that.

Being able to actually see who I'll be traveling and working with, knowing that they too are going through these same emotions and having the same concerns and questions as me makes me feel as though I am significantly more connected to this journey. I am excited beyond words to meet these people face-to-face and go on the next leg of this passage together.

However, I am still very much in Southwest Michigan. And I am still very much dealing with making my way out of here in the next two months. Let me just say that I am not really a shopper. I don't mind going out once in awhile and getting some new clothes or whatever, but trying to make a deliberate purchase of....well....most anything, can make my head spin. That said, I finally bought luggage. I had been searching online for a ridiculous number of hours trying to find exactly what I was looking for. Then last night after my obligatory episode of Lost, I decided to do just one more Google search and BAM! There it was. Bright blue. Relatively lightweight. Dimension restrictions maximized. Let it be known that I fell asleep very soundly last night. I also got my two new pair of glasses (yay!) and a donation of a slightly used Nook Color from my mom (thanks, Mom!!).  I am however, still trying to find a good hiking pack and a decent camera. It's times like these I understand why personal shoppers exist.

Right now though, I'm very much enamored with this period of transition. One foot is out the door and I'm very excited to see what's outside, yet still comforted by the warmth of my familiar home. What an awesome balance to weigh.






No comments:

Post a Comment